A 30-year-old man in China has reportedly become the second person in a matter of days to have been severely electrocuted by a charging iPhone.
Said to have been in a coma for 10 days, the man is reported to have been charging his iPhone 4
with a third-party charger earlier this month when he received a
serious electric shock. Earlier this week it was announced that a Chinese woman had died after been electrocuted by a charging iPhone 5.
to reports from the Beijing Evening News, a Mr Wu Jian Tong was
“suddenly shocked” by his iPhone 4 when attempting to plug it in to
charge using a “counterfeit” charger. The Chinese government recently
warned residents over the risks of a recent raft of potentially
questionable third-party smartphone accessories that have been doing the
rounds in the country.
A translation of reports has suggested
that Mr Wu shouted “I’m getting shocked” as he connected his phone and
was round unresponsive and not breathing when attended to by medical
teams at the scene. Having required CPR, Wu is said to have been in a
coma for ten days.
With the man’s doctor quoted as stating: “It was no doubt an electric shock,” Wu’s sister has relayed the events to reporters in China.
how she attempted to unplug the device, she said: "I then felt
needle-like pains on my fingertips. The current was running from my
finger, through to my arm and body, and to the foot."
On Monday it emerged a 23-year-old woman had died last month after trying to make a call using her charging iPhone 5.
an official statement earlier this week, Apple confirmed that it would
fully cooperate and work with authorities to help investigate the claims
of the iPhone electrocutions.
"We are deeply saddened to learn
of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family,” an
official spokesperson for the iPad mini manufacturer stated. “We will
fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter."